Remembrance Day ( 4A 23 )

Remembrance Day is symbolized by the poppies that people wear and place at war memorials. The poppies are usually worn or placed as wreaths. Do you know why do people use poppies as a symbol of Remembrance Day? The use of the poppycomes from a poem written by John McCrae, a Canadian doctor during World War 1, after presiding over the funeral of his friend, Alexis Helmer, who waskilled in the Second Battle of Y’pres. This poem is called In Flanders Fields.

In Flanders, everything was destroyed during the war and there was hardly anything left. The only thing survived there were poppies. The poppies grew in large numbers on the battlefields. Poppies are in red, reminding people of the spilledblood from World War 1. We should always remember World War 1 and avoid any war happening again.

Besides Britain, other commonwealth countries such as Australia and New Zealand people also wear poppies on Remembrance Day Ceremony. In Britain, the Remembrance Day Ceremony, which is held on the second Sunday in November in London, the Queen, the Royal families and other dignitarieswear red poppies.Some people choose to wear white poppies as a symbol for peace.

I sincerely hope that those who have sacrificed themselves will rest in peace. They have played an important role in human history.

Thank you for listening!

LEUNG Harry 4A (23)

Victor CHUI ( 5A 09 )

Good morning.

Before I start my sharing I would like to ask you a question. Have you ever noticed the abundance of foods for sale on the streets in Mong Kok.

Curry fish balls are cheap and tasty and covered in so much sauce that you can’t actually taste what it is supposed to be. A staple in Hong Kong since the 1950s, so lacking in their key ingredient are today’s fish balls, that they are close to having to drop the fish from their name. 20% apparently, is the magic number, and whatever the remaining 80% consists of, it is probably best that no one actually knows.

The next food I want to mention is Stinky Tofu, I think more of us do not like to eat it, and for me I have tried it only once, it stinks but actually tastes good. For many people, stinky tofu is the smell of Mong Kok. Head to Dundas Street on any given evening and before you even turn the corner you can smell it – that rancid, sweaty stench, floating over the crowds. As the great Ron Burgundy once said, “It stings the nostrils.” The result of a fermentation process that involves, among other things, milk, fish and meat, and can last up to a couple of months, stinky tofu is actually a lot better tasting than it smells. Though that isn’t saying much.

Usually fried in Hong Kong and served with sweet or chill sauce, stinky tofu is a Hong Kong street food classic. Try it, if you haven’t already, you might like it.

Without doubt egg waffle is my favourite, egg waffles have been a feature of Hong Kong street life since the 1950s and are still one of the most popular Hong Kong street snacks. Ideally fluffy on the inside, freshly grilled and not too crispy, each vendor claims their own secret recipe, but essentially, the waffles are made from a kind of pancake batter poured into a specially shaped mould and heated until done. Aside from the traditional yellow egg balls, chocolate, strawberry, sesame and other flavours can now be found at some of the larger stalls, though as ever, original is always best.

After listening to my favourite street foods, have I convinced you to try them?

Thank you for listening.

Victor CHUI 5A (09)

Page 7 of 14